Family Support Services
Bridging Programs and Services for Families
The Family Supports Program has been providing individual and group support to families of children enrolled in the Early Intervention Program and Early Childhood Services since 1997. In 2009, a number of services within Connect Society were consolidated and through this process the Family Support Services was launched. The development and expansion of this program offers a continuum of activities and services that provide families with children, support that spans from infancy through to school years.
Does my family qualify for the program?
The program accepts:
- Families with children from birth to 18 years
- One or more family members [parent or child] has a hearing loss
What does the program offer my family?
In Home Consultation and Support
- A Family Support Consultant meets with parents to discuss and share information, resources and referral, on issues that parents might identify.
- Children and their families are given opportunities to attend group activities that are both family focused and participant driven, based on topics that they have identified as areas of interest. Criteria for attending specific groups may depend on the age of the child[ren]
- Families, with children 0-6 years, are supported to enhance their relationship with their child who has a hearing loss, through signed communication skills building, in an natural environment of their own home.
- Connect Society partners with Big Brothers Big Sisters of Edmonton and Area to provide in school mentoring to elementary age children of Deaf adults [CODA]